Monday, March 8, 2010

Vintage Sputnik Era Barkcloth Satchel


Hey, Monkey is fooling around. There is this plastic-y stuff
called "Thermo-Web" that you can iron-on to fabric of all
kinds. I wanted this old barkcloth drapery fabric to be a bit
more wipe-off-able. The little zip bag and the overlay on the
bottom are Mexican oilcloth, with straps and the inside liner
of the coated cotton polkadots. Big and little pockets inside.
This fabric is from the 50s, about the same time as those
goofy boomerang plastic kitchen counter-tops. The pink is
that soft blush pink, and it is just right with the gray and
yellow and black and cream ground. Gray was hot back in
the day.

6 comments:

Cowlady said...

Very cool..BTW..Sistah & I saw some neat aprons made out of oilcloth (we liked a black toile & a red toile best of all the ones there) with many pockets at the BusyB in La Grange TX. do you ever do aprons? also saw some oilcloth totes, but not as innovative, creative, or as well made as the PM's. Sistah & Mumstah loved mine; quite impressed by the PM's workmanship (& both know workmanship). additionally, they like the label which i always display.
Sid

polkadot monkey said...

Cowlady,was the "toile" the lacey pattern above
except white ground with the black lace and the
red, both of which I have? Or was it something
entirely different? Thanks for the compliments.

polkadot monkey said...

Siddy, I have made a lot of aprons, but I do not
have much fun making them. I am thinking about
a little shorty gardening tool apron thingy for
myself when I am in the garden.

Cowlady said...

no, it really was toile. Marilyn & I thought they were neat because of all the small pockets, rather than just one or two medium size.(does that make sense?) the garden apron sounds neat & useful. i sometimes wear my heavier kitchen aprons outside to hold things(except i never wear the pretty TX wildflowers apron outside; it is for special "company"). keep creating & posting.

Jennifer said...

I love this!!!

polkadot monkey said...

Hey, Whippy...Do you need a good sturdy oilcloth
zipper satchel? For your birthday? Hmm? Hmm?